Wonder-filled”
developmental programs
for ages 2 and older , designed to provide children with wholesome hands-on learning opportunities that encompass home, farm and nature experiences.


Monday, May 11, 2009

New Ducks

Baby Ducklings have come to Ebenezer Farm! They are just the cutest and most fun little creatures. We decided to start with 4 Khaki Campbell Ducks. They are supposed to be excellent egg layers and we're curious to try eating duck eggs, but mostly we need ducks to complete our pond atmosphere. We so enjoyed visiting the Mallards who stopped by in the early spring, that it seemed like a good idea to bring in some who would stay. At this point they are living in a nice pen with a plastic pool during the day, and put to bed in the barn at night. I keep singing "La la la la lei" as the duck master in the story of Ping, but so far they're not running toward me like I'm their Mama. ??? I should probably make sure the neighbors know the story and why I'm singing my way over to my ducklings, or they'll think I'm a little quacked!




The first day I put them into their little plastic swimming pool, I got really nervous because they kept diving under the water - they obviously had no Mother to teach them, and I was worried that they were gulping too much and would drown themselves! They were absolutely ecstatic to be in this new environment- it was so much fun to watch. They zoomed like little torpedoes criss-crossing each other through the water. They barely came up to breath!

Their beady little eyes were bulging open as their little webbed feet paddled speedily and their tiny little wings flapped as hard as they could. It was the most delightful experience to witness. Ah, my little baby ducklings...



~* Mama Duck,
AKA Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment